Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, West Saville Terrace, The Reid Memorial Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, West Saville Terrace, The Reid Memorial Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Blackford Avenue; John Reid Memorial Church

Canmore ID 150471

Site Number NT27SE 4628

NGR NT 26071 71020

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/150471

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 4628.00 26071 71020

NT27SE 4628.01 26097 71015 Courtyard with Church Officer's House

Architect: William Reid 1929-33 - Built the church to the plans of Leslie Graham Thomson.

NMRS reference: Historical File: 'Reid Memorial Church'.

'Stands at the three-way intersection of Blackford Avenue with West Saville Terrace and Charterhall Road, and was built during the years 1929-33 by William Reid in accordance with the wishes of his son William Cramb Reid, as is recorded on the Memorial Tablet in the North Transept.

The plan of the church shows a Nave and apsidal Chancel, with short transepts. it is what has been called a free Gothic style, and, with its Hall, Church-officer's House, Vestries and other auxillary buildings laid out in the form of a Cloisteral Court, is a fine conception which seems to owe something to the influence of Robert S. Lorimer.

The general face work is in Craigmillar stone, the dressings and the work being in Doddington. Caithness slates have been used on the roofs.

The architect was Leslie G. Thomson, A.R.I.B.A. and several noted craftsmen have assisted in the execution of the scheme. Above the Ministers and Elders stalls, framed in a carved oak canopy, is a dramatic picture by William R. Lawson, of the Last Supper, while the three great windows of the apse are filled with stained glass by James Ballentine, F.S.A.Scot. A carved figure panel in stone, in the court, above fountain basin under the central window of the apse, is by "Alexander Carrick, R.S.A., and all the wrought-iron work has been carried out by Thomas Hadden.

The church was dedicated on Thursday, 3rd January, 1935. On the inbitation of the Presbytery of Edinburgh it was occupied by the congregation of what had been the Free High Church attached to the New College at the Mound, the space vacated there being utilised for the wider activities of the College.

See also under the "New, or High, Church".

Refer to a brochure designed by Messrs Pillans & Wilson, printers, and issued by the Church Authorities before the dedication ceremony, which contains a small scale plan of the Church and subsidiary buildings, and a number of photographic reproductions of both Interior and Exterior'.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions