Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Daless

Chapel (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Daless

Classification Chapel (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) River Findhorn

Canmore ID 14979

Site Number NH83NE 1

NGR NH 86102 38870

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14979

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cawdor
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH83NE 1 8608 3886

A pre-Reformation chapel-of-ease with a small glebe existed at Daless (NH 86 38). It was disused after the Reformation but its site can still be identified.

G Bain 1928.

At NH 8608 3886 on the flat haugh-land of the River Findhorn is a sub-rectangular enclosure, oriented ESE to WNW and measuring c. 78.0m by c. 26.0m within a denuded bank of earth and stones. It is locally thought to have been a burial ground but there is not trace of tombstones or a chapel.

Visited by OS (R L), 3 December 1970.

Activities

Field Visit (May 1978)

Daless NH 860 388 NH83NE 1

A sub-rectangular enclosure, measuring 78m ESE-WNW by 26m transversely within a denuded bank of earth and stones, has been identified as the site of a pre-Reformation chapel-of-ease noted by Bain, but the surviving remains do not support this view.

RCAHMS 1978, visited May 1978

Bain 1928, 101

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions