Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 101 Great Junction Street, Stanwell Nursery School

School (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 101 Great Junction Street, Stanwell Nursery School

Classification School (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) 15a Junction Place; Dr Bell's School; Great Junction Street Public School

Canmore ID 149501

Site Number NT27NE 460

NGR NT 26787 76070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/149501

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 460 26787 76070

NT27NE 459 26754 76045 Dr Bell's Drama Centre (Dr Bell's School)

ARCHITECT: George Craig, 1890.

REFERENCE:

R and R Dickson.

Leith. Dr Bell's School, Great Junction Street.

Advertisement for tenders, 1838.

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, Nov 19, 1838).

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (4 September 2001)

Ornately canopied niche containing statue of Rev. Andrew Bell wearing the robes of a divine, and holding an open book [a Bible] in his hands.

According to 'The Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh', Dr. Bell endowed the school in 1831. (1)

Inspected By : IC. Grant

Inscriptions : Below niche (raised numbers): 1839

On left of niche (incised letters): REV. / ANDREW BELL / DD LL.D F.R.S.E. / BORN AT ST ANDREWS / 1753 / DIED AT CHELTENHAM / 1832 / AND BURIED IN / WESTMINSTER ABBEY // AUTHOR OF THE / MADRAS SYSTEM / OF EDUCATION TO / CARRY OUT WHICH / HE FOUNDED SCHOOLS / IN LEITH AND OTHER / PLACES. THE / SYSTEM HAS NOW / BEEN SUPERCEDED / BY THE EDUCATION / GIVEN UNDER THE / EDUCATION (SCOTLAND) / ACTS 1872 TO 1873 / 1892

On right of niche, above carving of a sailing ship in a roundel (incised letters): LEITH SCHOOL BOARD

On right of niche, below sailing ship (incised letters): PERSEVERE

Below roundel (incised letters): DR / BELL'S SCHOOL / JUNCTION STREET // ERECTED 1838 // ACQUIRED FROM / THE GOVERNORS OF / BELL'S TRUST BY THE / LEITH SCHOOL BOARD / AND RECONSTRUCTED / BY THEM AS / GREAT JUNCTION STREET / PUBLIC SCHOOL / IN / 1892 / ROBERT SOMERVILLE / CHAIRMAN / ROBERT HARDIE / CLERK

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1838-1839

Year of unveiling : 1839

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0690)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions