Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinrara, Duchess Of Gordon's Monument

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kinrara, Duchess Of Gordon's Monument

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Commemorative Monument (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Eata's Chapel; St Eata, At Kinara

Canmore ID 14888

Site Number NH80NE 4

NGR NH 86878 07688

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14888

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Alvie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH80NE 4 86878 07688

(NH 8687 0767) Duchess of Gordon's Monument (NAT)

Site of St. Eata's Chapel (NR).

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1903).

See also NH80NE 18.

Before the erection of the monument to Jane, Duchess of Gordon in 1812, the site of St. Eata's chapel was visible. but since the interment replanting and trenching have removed all traces. Nothing is known of the erection of the chapel or when it was disused.

Shaw records that 'St Eata, at Kinara' was one of three pre-Reformation chapels, besides the parish church, in Alvie.

Name Book 1871; L Shaw 1882.

No further information.

Visited by OS (N K B), 28 November 1966.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE - Scottish Record Office

Monument to Jane, Duchess of Gordon

1873 Thomas Sams, sculptor.

GD 44/Sec 51/280

GD 44/Sec 52/200/40

(Undated) information in NMRS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions