Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gablon, Ospisdale

Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle (Prehistoric)

Site Name Gablon, Ospisdale

Classification Cairn(S) (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 14867

Site Number NH79SW 3

NGR NH 7089 9144

NGR Description NH 7089 9144 and NH 710 914

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14867

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Creich (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH79SW 3 7089 9144 and 710 914.

(NH 7089 9144) Hut Circle (NR)

OS 25" map, (1968)

(NH 710 914) Cairns (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A group of about a dozen small mounds to the W of which are the remains of an oval hut circle with an entrance in the SE.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

One of the cairns was excavated by Lord Migdale in 1959. It was circular, measuring 18' in diameter, within a kerb of stones which did not seem to contribute to the stability of the cairn. The excavation revealed that it was a pile of stones with no sign of structure within.

A Graham 1960.

A mutilated stone-walled hut measuring c.13.5m in diameter between the centres of a wall spread to c.3.0m on the N and S arcs but barely visible elsewhere. The entrance is no longer apparent. A wall, of much later date, skirts the N side of the hut.

The 'mounds' noted by the RCAHMS, including the one excavated by Lord Migdale, are stone clearance heaps, separated from the hut by a gully but probably from contemporary cultivation plots.

Visited by OS (R L) 21 October 1969.

Activities

Field Visit (23 July 1909)

60. Gablon. On the first ridge of Achany Moor, to the N. of the woods at Gablon, on the Ospisdale estate, is a group of about a dozen small mounds of the usual character. To the W. of the group, on the crest of a ridge between two ravines, are the remains of a hut circle of the usual oval form, with an entrance from the SE. The banks are so effaced as to make accurate measurement impossible.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet cxii.

RCAHMS 1911, Visited (AOC), 23rd July 1909.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions