Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Torri Falaig

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Torri Falaig

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 14804

Site Number NH79NW 18

NGR NH 7288 9832

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Dornoch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH79NW 18 7288 9832.

(NH 7288 9832) Enclosure (NR)

OS 6" map, (1969)

A fortified enclosure, comprising three lines of defence supplemented by an outer trench in the N (sic).

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1911.

A robbed dun on the summit of a knoll called Torri Falaig. The remains are so slight and overgrown that it is difficult to determine if it has a close concentric outwork, or if it is simply a single strong walled structure.

The almost level oval summit area measures 29.0m E-W by 16.0m N-S. Edging it, particularly in the S, is a turf-covered band of rubble spread to c.2.5m. Edging the rim in the W are three contiquous stones which look to be of an outer wall face but their position on the lip is suspicious and their purpose is uncertain. On the slopes below and at a distance of

c.5.0m from this debris are a few intermittent boulders of an outer wall face. The impression gained round much of the periphery is that these represent the outer face of the main wall itself, which if so would be c.5.0m thick, but in the SE where the face is best preserved, the impression is that it is the outer face of a distinctly separate wall. In the interior c.4.0m inside the lip of the summit in the NW is a curving band of rubble c.11.0m long and spread to 3.0m. This looks as if it could be the main dun wall but its position suggests it is the result of mutilations. The entrance is not evident but was presumably in the E at the point of easiest approach.

The alleged outer defence encircling the hillock is with little doubt comparatively recent. It is a collapsed stone wall and can be seen to have been no more than 1.0m thick. The outer trench in the S is a natural watercourse.

Resurveyed at 1/10,560.

Visited by OS (W D J) 5 April 1964 and (J M) 14 May 1975.


Field Visit (3 September 1909)

108. Fortified Enclosure, Dalnamain.

On an isolated hillock at the E. end of the birch wood, on the S. side of the road up Strath Carnaig, opposite Dalnamain, are the remains of a fortified enclosure. The hillock rises to a height of some 40' from its base. On the summit is an oval enclosure measuring some 78' from E. to W. by 42' from N. to S. A portion of the wall remains to a height of about 2' at the E. end, and is about 8' broad. This wall has been encircled by another from 12' to 15' distant at the edge of the summit towards the E. and along the slope on the flanks. At the W. end these walls probably converged, but there the remains are very indistinct. Entirely surrounding the hillock at its base are the foundations of an outer defence, from 6' to 8' thick, 110' distant from the second line at the W. end and 98' at the E., supplemented on the N. by a trench some 6' deep below the top of the rampart and some 8' to 12' wide. The only break in this bank or rampart is one of 3' in width at the W, from which to the central enclosure there is an approach up an easy slope. The entrance to the main enclosure is not apparent, but has probably been from the E. end. The foundations of the walls are stony, and appear to be built, but there is hardly sufficient debris to indicate that the walls were entirely of stone.

OS 6-inch map, Sutherland, civ. (unnoted).

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 3rd September 1909.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions