Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Golspie, St Carden's Chapel And Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Ogham Inscribed Stone (Early Medieval)(Possible), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)(Possible)

Site Name Golspie, St Carden's Chapel And Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab (Early Medieval), Ogham Inscribed Stone (Early Medieval)(Possible), Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) St Maillidh Chapel; Former Parish Church Of Kilmalie

Canmore ID 14790

Site Number NH79NE 5

NGR NH 7993 9870

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14790

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Golspie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH79NE 5 7993 9870

(NH 7993 9870) Site of (NAT)

St Carden's Chapel (NR)

Grave Yard (Disused) (NAT)

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 1st ed., (1873)

Church (NR) (rems of)

OS 6" map, (1971).

See also NC80SW 13, NC80SE 2 and NH79NE 30.

The remains of the former parish church of Kilmalie, now Golspie, on record in 1275, and translated to Golspie (NC80SW 6) in 1619. The dedication was to a saint named Maillidh who is not mentioned in the Calendars. The St Carden dedication presumably emanates from an erroneous interpretation of the fact that St Carden's Fair was still held here in the early 17th century.

The graveyard is now partly overlaid by a road, but a symbol stone (NC80SE 2) and a cross-slab with symbols and Ogams (NC80SW 13) may have come from its vicinity.

Orig Paroch Scot 1855; W Macfarlane 1906-8; W J Watson 1926.

The portion of the church wall remaining measures 23.0m in length, 2.2m maximum height, and 0.8m thick, and forms part of the wall along the S side of the main road to Golspie.

It is constructed of roughly coursed masonry, bonded with shell mortar, and contains an inscribed stone set into the S wall face, and a round-headed arch 2.0m wide and c.1.0m high above the present ground level. Several broken grave slabs are visible in the disused graveyard to the S of the church.

Visited by OS (N K B) 9 February 1966.

The remains of the church and graveyard are generally as described above. The remaining portion of the church wall is 21.5m long. No further information on the previous locations of the two symbol stones was obtained.

(See NH79NE 30.)

Visited by OS (J B), 26 May 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions