Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Clydesmill Power Station

Power Station (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Clydesmill Power Station

Classification Power Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clyde's Mill Power Station; Cambuslang

Canmore ID 147034

Site Number NS66SW 130

NGR NS 6492 6134

NGR Description NS 6454 6122 to NS 6533 6135

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/147034

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambuslang (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 130 6492 6134, 6454 6122 to 6533 6135.

Extends onto map sheet NS66SE.

Clydesmill Power Station was built as one of the first 'base-load' power stations in Scotland after the creation of the National Grid. It was subsequently extended. It was originally owned by the Clyde Valley Electric Power Company Limited.

the original station dared from about 1903, with further extensions.This was a very large power station by the standards of the time, as it had some very significant consumers among its industrial neighbours, including the Clyde Iron Works and Clydebridge Steel Works.

Information from John Hume as part of SCRAN Project (project 0188), 2002.

Activities

Construction (1903)

Constructed.

Construction (1964 - 1966)

Extension.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions