Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Delny

Manor House (Medieval), Moated Site (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Delny

Classification Manor House (Medieval), Moated Site (Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 14598

Site Number NH77SW 10

NGR NH 734 723

NGR Description NH c. 734 723

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14598

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kilmuir Easter
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH77SW 10 c. 734 723.

The earls of Ross had a residence at Delny, 'our manor house' of Delny appearing in at least one 15th-century MacDonald charter. Virtually all medieval traces have disappeared and the site at Delny is now occupied by a large farmstead and a late 19th-century villa. It is possible that Delny was a wet moated site similar to 'David's Fort' (NH55SW 4).

Statistical Account (OSA) 1793; Orig Paroch Scot 1855; A MacDonald and A MacDonald 1896; G Stell 1986.

NH 73514 72372 to NH 73444 72320 A watching brief was undertaken close to Delny Moat (NH77SW 10) in August 2003 as part of a water mains renewal project. No archaeological features or deposits were revealed.

Full report lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.

Sponsor: Halcrow Group Ltd for Scottish Water.

S Farrell 2003

Activities

Field Visit (1996 - 2003)

Russell Coleman managed an Historic Scotland funded project to record medieval moated sites in Scotland. Gazetteers were produced for each regional council area between 1996 and 2002 with an uncompleted overall review in 2002-03. The results of the first year of the project were published in Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal, Volume 3 (1997).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions