Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenlaw, Wester Row, Greenlaw Railway Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Greenlaw, Wester Row, Greenlaw Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Greenlaw, Station House

Canmore ID 145597

Site Number NT74NW 47

NGR NT 70870 45530

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/145597

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Greenlaw
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Greenlaw Railway Station was closed in 1948, but the station building still stands, with the disused platform landscaped as a garden.

Built to serve the Reston-St Boswells line which was opened in 1849, the two-storeyed red sandstone building is a typical example of station architecture in this region.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT74NW 47 70870 45530

This intermediate station on the Reston-St Boswells secondary line of the (former) North British Rly was opened by the Berwickshire Rly on 16 November 1863. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the St Boswells-Duns portion of the line) on 13 August 1948.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 February 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

NT74NW 47 70870 45530

The surviving building of Greenlaw Railway station is situated on the W side of a remaining section of Wester Row. The building is set within a post railway period garden which straddles the former trackbed and in the immediate surrounding area are twolarge sheds connected with a car repair yard.

Immediately to the E a new road now bypasses the building and the road overbridge, which also survives.

Bult mainly of brick with a slated roof.

Now a private residence.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), May 2010

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions