Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blackstand

Cist (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Beaker

Site Name Blackstand

Classification Cist (Period Unassigned), Mound (Period Unassigned), Beaker

Canmore ID 14539

Site Number NH76SW 8

NGR NH 7145 6070

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14539

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH76SW 8 7145 6070.

(NH 7145 6070) This is an oval, gorse and broom covered mound in which a cist, with a skeleton and beaker, was found in or about 1940.

Henshall (1963) considers the mound, which measures 120' by 90' and approximately 7' high, more likely to be natural than artificial.

The cist was found, during the digging of trenches, in the northern side of the mound. The beaker, of B/C type, was built up of rings of clay. It was found and presented by Captain F W Colledge, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1 East Mayfield, Edinburgh, to the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS- EG 90). The skeletal remains have been lost.

R B K Stevenson 1951; A A Woodham 1956; Information from A A Woodham to OS; A S Henshall 1963.

The find-spot was sited from the description given above to a natural mound, at NH 7146 6070, in a forestry plantation.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (NKB) 21 January 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions