Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St. Moluag's Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St. Moluag's Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Kirkstanes

Canmore ID 14485

Site Number NH76NE 9

NGR NH 791 675

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14485

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Cromarty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH76NE 9 791 675.

The site of a former church and churchyard of Cromarty, now covered by the sea, is marked by 'the Kirstanes' below the Fishertown. About 1815, the beach below the town was covered with human bones and hewn stones from this graveyard. They were buried in the present church-yard. According to Macrae a former church of Cromarty, possibly this one, was dedicated to St. Moluag (ob. 592), but Simpson does not note it. The present church (NH76NE 10) was probably built in 1593.

G Mackenzie 1958; H Miller 1835; N Macrae 1923; W D Simpson 1935.

There is no trace of either church or churchyard. Mr James Hogg (High Street, Cromarty) indicated the former area of the Kirkstanes, now covered by the sea, at NH 791 675.

Visited by OS (N K B) 28 January 1966.

St Moluag's Church; eroded by the sea; unlocated - not visited.

16th century AD and earlier.

CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions