Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hillhead

Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Hillhead

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned), Cist (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 14425

Site Number NH75SE 9

NGR NH 7734 5008

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14425

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Petty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH75SE 9 7734 5008

On the farm of Hillhead there is a large cairn, in the immediate neighbourhood of which a 'stone coffin' was excavated many years ago.

NSA 1845.

According to Mr Kelly, Hillhead Farm, the only cairn which existed on his farm is situated in pasture land at NH 7734 5008. Measuring 27.0m in diameter, it has been severely mutilated and robbed, and is now almost completely grass-covered although several kerb stones are still clearly visible. He has no knowledge of the excavation or 'stone-coffin' (cist) mentioned in the New Statistical Account (NSA).

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 13 August 1964.

This mutilated cairn stands 400m WNW of Hillhead farmhouse; it measures 27m in diameter by 1m in height, with two kerb-stones visible on the W.

RCAHMS 1979, visited March 1978.

Activities

Field Visit (19 September 1943)

Cairn (site), Hillhead.

The site of this cairn is on low-lying, level, cultivated land about ¼ m N of Hillhead farmhouse. The cairn has been almost entirely removed, but its site is not cultivated but used as a dump for weeds and rubbish. Under this some cairn material still survives and there are several large stones lying about on the edge of the area. Three on the north are contiguous and apparently earthfast and seem to stand on an arc of a circle, so that they may represent remnants of a peristalith. Two or three loose blocks on the S, over 2’ long, may also have belonged to the kerb, and careful examination of the site might still reveal some details of the plan of the structure.

Visited by RCAHMS (VGC, AG) 19 September 1943

Map ref: v (Unnoted)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions