Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gollanfield Junction Station

Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Gollanfield Junction Station

Classification Railway Junction (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Fort George Station; Gollanfield Station; Gollanfield Junction

Canmore ID 14418

Site Number NH75SE 21

NGR NH 7985 5299

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14418

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Petty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH75SE 21 7985 5299

(Location cited as NH 762 504). Gollanfield Station, opened 1855 by the Inverness and Nairn Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station, only the platform faces and the single-storey, down (originally up-) platform building survive.

J R Hume 1977.

Opened (as Fort George Station) by the Inverness and Nairn Rly on 5 November 1855, being renamed Gollanfield Junction Station on 1 July 1899 and Gollanfield Station in March 1959. The station closed to regular passenger traffic on 3 May 1965, but the main line remains in use.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 12 December 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

This was the original station. In 1890 a new station was opened in Ardersier and was called Fort George Station while the original station was renamed Gollanfield Junction Station. When the Ardersier Station was closed Gollanfield Junction Station reverted back to being Fort George Station.

See also NH 75 SE 20, Ardersier, Fort George Station.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions