Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Cammo Road, Cammo House, Stables

Stable (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cammo Road, Cammo House, Stables

Classification Stable (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cammo Estate; Cammo House Policies; Cammo Park

Canmore ID 143533

Site Number NT17SE 62.13

NGR NT 1752 7439

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17SE 62.13 1752 7439

Formerly entered as NT17SE 310.

Site Management (27 June 1991)

U-plan, classical single storey and loft stable block; central octagonal tower. Droved sandstone ashlar; base course; band course at springing of arch; moulded cornice with blocking course. Roofless shell remains.

A-Group with Cammo House Bridge, Quadrant Walls, Boundary Walls, Rubble Bridge, Knoll, Walled Garden and Water Tower. The stables at Cammo were built by James Watson, who was also responsible for the Water Tower and alterations to the house: the L-plan extension and crenellated parapet (see separate list descriptions). On maps predating the erection of Watson's stables, there are buildings on that site and they remain represented on later maps too. It is probable that these were the stables built by Sir John Clerk. Following the erection of Watson's stable it is likely that these earlier buildings would have been put to some other livestock use; it is believed that they were used as a piggery. (Historic Scotland)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions