Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Forfar, Market Street, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Forfar, Market Street, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Forfar Station

Canmore ID 143290

Site Number NO45SE 155

NGR NO 4593 5136

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/143290

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Angus
  • Parish Forfar
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Angus
  • Former County Angus

Archaeology Notes

NO45SE 155 4593 5136

For adjacent railway yard, see NO45SE 97. For engine shed and repair works (NO 4617 5183), see NO45SE 96.

This intermediate station on the Perth - Kinnanber Junction - Aberdeen ('Strathmore') line of the former Caledonian Rly was opened on 2 August 1848 by the Aberdeen Rly. It succeeded an earlier station of the Arbroath and Forfar Rly, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 4 September 1967.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 April 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

Station opened 31/1/1839 (Arbroath and Forfar Railway)

Closed 4/9/1967

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions