Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Daviot Castle

Castle (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible), Polished Axehead (Stone)

Site Name Daviot Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Motte (Medieval)(Possible), Polished Axehead (Stone)

Alternative Name(s) Strathnairn Castle

Canmore ID 14307

Site Number NH74SW 4

NGR NH 72912 40692

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Daviot And Dunlichity
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74SW 4 7292 4071.

(NH 7292 4071) Daviot Castle (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

A castle at Daviot was built, by the Moravia family during the penetration of Scotland by the Normans.

G Bain 1893.

Daviot Castle is said to have been built by David Earl of Crawford, in the beginning of the 15th century. It had a dry ditch and drawbridge on the west side, and was defended by natural declivities on the three others. It consisted of an old square building, with four circular towers, one springing from each corner. The wall and towers and part of the gate were entire in the beginning of the 18th century, and the ruins still existed in 1840.

The castle was ultimately destroyed to provide lime for manure.

ISSFC 1893; ISSFC 1928.

An axehead of green-veined stoned beautifully found on the site of the Castle of Daviot, was exhibited by the Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland in Edinburrgh in 1856.

Archaeol Inst Great Britain Ireland 1859.

In the Museum of the Northern Institution, which existed between 1825 and 1835, was a 'Beautiful Stone Axe found at Castle Daviot near Inverness.' (A catalogue of this museum compiled about 1827 is frequently quoted in the Transactions of the Inverness Scientific Soc Fld Club).

J Barron 1915.

Daviot Castle probably occupied the flat top of the small promontory which stretches north from the present Daviot House and was defended by steep natural slopes in its north, west and east sides. The dry-ditch and draw-bridge, mentioned by ISSFC (1893) as being on the west side was more probably on the south side. No trace of this ditch remains. The remains of the castle consist of a tower which was probably the tower at the north east angle of the castle. The tower, of moriared masonry, has an internal diameter of 4.1m and the wall varies in thickness from 20-1.7m. The wall has a maximum external height of 4.5m on the east side but merges with the slopes on the west side. The internal height of the wall is c.1.0m rising to a maximum of 3.0m in the east side. No further information was found regarding the stone axe found there.

Visited by OS (W D J) 28 August 1963.

Location cited as NH 722 393. [Probably refers to this monument].

P A Yeoman 1988.


Field Visit (April 1979)

Daviot Castle NH 729 407 NH74SW 4

This castle of enclosure, which occupies a prominent spur 100m NNE of House of Daviot, was probably built by David, 1st Earl of Crawford (c. 1359-1407). The existing remains comprise an NE angle-tower, which measures 4m in internal diameter, has a wall 1.8m thick and stands to a height of two storeys; a length of curtain-wall 0.6m thick; and several large masses of mortar-bound masonry. A central tower probably stood within the enclosure and there may have been a gatehouse on the S side.

RCAHMS 1979, visited April 1979

Stat Acct, xiv, 1795, 71-2;NSA, xiv, Inverness, 518-19

Note (1979)

Daviot NH74SW 4

Nothing can now be seen of the 'castle' which was built at Daviot by the Moravia family; it may have been a motte built on the same site as the later Daviot Castle (NH74SW 4).


Bain 1893, 97


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions