Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culloden Moor, Cumberland's Stone

Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Culloden Moor, Cumberland's Stone

Classification Stone (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Culloden Muir, Duke Of Cumberland's Stone

Canmore ID 14202

Site Number NH74NW 17.01

NGR NH 7497 4526

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14202

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Croy And Dalcross (Inverness)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 17.01 7497 4526.

(NH 7497 4526) Cumberland's Stone (NAT)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906).

According to local tradition, the Cumberland Stone, near Culloden Moor, marks the spot where on the morning of the battle the "Butcher Duke" took breakfast. The huge conglomerate served the purpose of his table, and later in the day was used by him as a coign of vantage to survey the field. It measures 53 feet 6 inches in circumference and is 5 feet 3 inches in height.

Information from Aberdeen Journal, 1909, 2, 132-3 and The Scotsman, 27 April 1909.

On the top of the Cumberland Stone is the inscription 'Position of the Duke of Cumberland during the Battle of Culloden'.

Visited by OS (W D J) 24 April 1962.

Removed from list of scheduled ancient monuments, former number 965.

Information from Historic Scotland, 14 November 1996.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions