Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalgrambich

Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Dalgrambich

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 14161

Site Number NH74NE 25

NGR NH 7907 4720

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14161

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Croy And Dalcross (Inverness)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NE 25 7907 4720.

(NH 7907 4720) Stone Circle (NR) (Remains of).

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

One stone only remains, the remainder have been removed for building and other purposes; it is about 6ft in height, quite erect.

Name Book 1870.

Dalgrambich (? Clava-type) 6ft high, 3ft 3ins wide by 2ft thick at the base. This stone was regarded by Fraser as the last survivor of a Clava-type cairn.

J Fraser 1884; A S Henshall 1963.

This standing stone survives to a height of 1.9 metres, and is situated at the S corner of a pasture field. There are no other standing stones in the immediate vicinity although there are several large stones at the edge of the field at NH 7906 4717, and also on the SE side of the lane at NH 79104715, which may or may not have been part of this alleged cairn or stone circle.

Resurveyed at 1/2500

Visited by OS (R B) 21 August 1964.

Activities

Field Visit (20 August 1943)

Standing Stone, Dalgrambich.

Below and E of Dalgrambich farmhouse and close to the W side of the road from the farm to Cantray House, on the level alluvial plain of the Nairn valley, stands a single stone 5’8” high x 4’3” wide x 1’10” thick. It looks like a normal isolated standing stone but is reputedly the last remnant of a ‘Stone Circle’ of the Nairn type—there are actually some large boulders on the roadside that might also once have found a place in such a monument. In any case its situation is similar to that of the better preserved structures a little further upstream by Cantraybruich and Clava.

Visited by RCAHMS (VGC, AG) 20 August 1943

Map ref: v (‘Stone circle, remains of’)

Field Visit (July 1978)

A single standing stone is all that remains of what may have been a Clava cairn.

Visited by RCAHMS July 1978.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions