Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 219 Colinton Road, Napier University, Craiglockhart Campus

College (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Hydropathic Institute (19th Century), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 219 Colinton Road, Napier University, Craiglockhart Campus

Classification College (Period Unassigned), Hospital (First World War), Hydropathic Institute (19th Century), Nunnery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Convent Of The Sacred Heart; Craiglockhart College Of Education; Edinburgh Hydropathic; Craiglockhart Hydropathic

Canmore ID 141608

Site Number NT27SW 1689

NGR NT 22619 70122

NGR Description Centred NT 22619 70122

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/141608

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (4 October 2013)

Built by Peddie & Kinnear in 1878-80 as the Edinburgh Hydropathic. Italian, 3-storey ashlar block with towers centre and ends, 280 ft frontage. Chapel: Reginald Fairlie 1933, linked to convent building by corridor. Rockfaced rubble, harled brick, slate and copper roofs. Narthex, nave and chancel, barrel vaulted on concrete ribs, marble-lined apse. Transept added on N side 1965.

Historic Scotland Listing description 1970.

The building is famous for having housed a military hospital used for the treatment of shell-shock cases in the First World War, including two of the "war poets", Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen.

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 4 October 2013.

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 1689 centred 22619 70122

Napier University

Craiglockhart campus [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2010.

ARCHITECT: Reginald Fairlie, 1933 - chapel

Peddie and Kinnear 1877

Joseph Mar Johnston (reconstruction and reconditioning)

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions