Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dalcross Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Dalcross Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Stables And Store

Canmore ID 14152

Site Number NH74NE 17

NGR NH 77860 48289

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14152

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Croy And Dalcross (Inverness)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NE 17.00 77860 48289

NH74NE 17.01 77781 48376 Entrance Arch and Gates

(NH 7785 4829) Dalcross Castle (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1906)

Dalcross Castle is a good example of the early 17th century tower-built castles; it shows one of the modifications then introduced to the L-plan and was built in 1621 by the 8th Lord Lovat. It was purchased in 1702, the added North wing bears date 1703, by the M'Intoshes whose arms with date 1720 were inserted above the entrance. The upper floors were ruinous but the castle was restored for habitation in 1897-8.

The buildings for byres and stables on the east of the court-yard are comparatively modern.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; L Shaw 1882; ISSFC 1921.

This castle is as described above and is still inhabited.

Visited by OS (N K B) 11 August 1964.

Architecture Notes

Architect: Samuel Grant Alexander (with W.L. Carruthers) - restoration

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions