Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, Avon Bank Woods, Tod's Mill

Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned), Tramway (Modern), Watermill (Period Unassigned), Unidentified Pottery

Site Name Linlithgow, Avon Bank Woods, Tod's Mill

Classification Brickworks (Period Unassigned), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Quarry (Period Unassigned), Tramway (Modern), Watermill (Period Unassigned), Unidentified Pottery

Alternative Name(s) Avonbank Woods; Marshall, John And Co

Canmore ID 140791

Site Number NS97NE 118

NGR NS 96512 78664

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140791

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Bo'ness And Carriden
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County West Lothian

Architecture Notes

NS97NE 118 96512 78664

Built 18th Century.

Watermill - grid reference: NS 96482 78680

Tod's Mill: A building used for the purpose of making bricks situated close to the River Avon; the machinery is worked by a wheel propelled by water. It is presently leased and worked by Mr Robertson of Bo'ness and is the property of the Duke of Hamilton.

Name Book (Linlithgowshire), 1856

Two 'Old Quarries' a kiln, and tram roads connecting the brickworks to the nearby railway are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (LInlithgowshire, 1856, sheet 1).

Information from RCAHMS (IF) 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions