Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blarliargan

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Blarliargan

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Rynachulig; Morenish

Canmore ID 140428

Site Number NN63NW 70

NGR NN 61471 36157

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/140428

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Oblique aerial view of the landscape and field systems at Morenish, Lochtayside, from Tomocrocher in the west to Edramucky in the east. Centred on the former farms of Blarliargan and Milton Morenish (now a holiday park) and Rynachulig.  Taken from SE.
Oblique aerial view of the landscape and field systems at Morenish, Lochtayside, from Tomocrocher in the west to Edramucky in the east. Centred on the former farms of Blarliargan and Milton Morenish (now a holiday park) and Rynachulig.  Taken from SE.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Kenmore (Perth And Kinross)
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN63NW 70 61471 36157.

A farmstead, comprising two roofed buildings, one unroofed building and one enclosure is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet lxviii). Two unroofed buildings are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1981).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 24 February 1998.

This farmstead stands immediately S of the A827 road, about 100m W of the bridge over the Allt a' Mhoirneas. It comprises two buildings standing at right angles to each other and forming the SW and SE sides of a roughly square yard, while the site of a third building may be marked by a rectangular platform about 50m to the NE.

The W building (BL00 977) measures 15.2m from NW to SE by 4.2m transversely

within overgrown rubble walls up to 1.2m in height. It has been divided into two compartments, each having an entrance on the NE. The E building (BL00 978) measures 13.5m from NE to SW by 3.8m transversely within walls up to 0.9m high. The yard, which measures 20m by 17m, is bounded on the NE and NW by drystone dykes. The platform to the NE measures 8.8m in length and 5.6m in breadth, and has been set into the slope on its NNW side (BL00 979; NN 61530 36194).

A farmstead is shown at this location on John Farquharson's 1769 Survey of the North Side of Loch Tay (National Archives of Scotland, RHP 973/1, Plan 4), and it is one of six settlements mapped on the farm of Blarliargan. Farquharson depicts six buildings and two enclosures; it is possible that the roughly square yard just described is represented on the map, but the present ruined buildings cannot be matched with any confidence to those shown by Farquharson. The layout depicted on the first edition of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire 1867, sheet LXVIII) provides a closer match to the existing remains: the buildings described above are shown roofed, along with what may be a third (unroofed) building standing in the yard. The platform to the NE is not depicted. This map applies the name Rynachulig to the site, but this may have been an error, as Rynachulig is (and has been since at least 1769) the name of the farm to the east, across the Allt a' Mhoirneas. The second edition of the map (Perthshire 1901, sheet LXVIII SE) shows no change from the first edition. By that date the surrounding land had been divided into a series of crofts, all named Morenish by the Inland Revenue Survey of c.1910 (National Archives of Scotland IRS78/215, Nos.162-71).

(BL00 977-9, 2593)

Visited by RCAHMS (ATW) 20 July 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions