Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kilwinning, Howgate, Kilwinning East Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Kilwinning, Howgate, Kilwinning East Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Kilwinning Station (Caledonian Railway); Caledonian Railway Station

Canmore ID 139829

Site Number NS34SW 55

NGR NS 3001 4339

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139829

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Ayrshire
  • Parish Kilwinning
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Cunninghame
  • Former County Ayrshire

Archaeology Notes

NS34SW 55 3001 4339

Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,560 map, 1897.

Not to be confused with Kilwinning (Glasgow and South-Western Rly.) Station (NS 2962 4364), for which see NS24SE 49.00.

This intermediate station on the Glasgow - Giffen - Ardrossan line of the (former) Caledonian Rly. was also the junction station for that company's branch to Irvine. It was opened (by the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Rly.) on 3 September 1888, closed on 1 January 1917 and was reopened on 1 February 1919. It was renamed Kilwinning East station by the London, Midland and Scottish Rly. on 2 June 1924, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 4 July 1932.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 January 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions