Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Eorodale, Chain Home Low Radar Station

Radar Station (20th Century)

Site Name Lewis, Eorodale, Chain Home Low Radar Station

Classification Radar Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Eorodal; Adabroc; Adabrock

Canmore ID 139426

Site Number NB56SW 63

NGR NB 53194 62681

NGR Description Centred NB 53194 62681

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barvas
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB56SW 63.00 centred 53194 62681

NB56SW 63.01 centred NB 52804 63282 Military camp; Air-raid shelters

For Habost Radar Station see NB56SW 73

The brick, stone and concrete buildings associated with this Chain Home Low Radar Station are situated either side of the road through Blar Beag (Adabrock). The powerhouse (generator set-house) has been rebuilt as a house with garages and other structures, including three air-raid shelters were also noted.

The site of Hobost Radar site (Chain Home Beam) was also within this area but has not yet been located.

J Guy; NMRS MS 810/12, 66-9

Little survives of the main technical area of the Chain Home Beam radar station at Eorodale apart from an air-raid shelter at NB 53237 62625 and a small square stone and brick built building at NB 53266 62607. Several concrete hut bases were noted centred at NB 53197 62682. The masts were located at approximately c. NB 5318 6278 and the transmitter/receiver (Tx/Rx) block was at c. NB 5329 6257, both have now been removed.

The accommodation camp is on the W side of the road to Lionel, about 716m NW (NB56SW 63.01) of the main radar site.

The radar station and associated structures are visible on vertical air photographs (106G/Scot/UK 104, 3334-3335, flown 19 May 1946), on both sides of the road leading S from Lional to Outer Adabrock. Visible on the photographs is the transmitter (Tx) /receiver (Rx) block, at least sixteen huts and two short masts, immediately N of a structure depicted on the current OS 1:2500 digital scale map at NB 53176 62775. Also visible on the photographs is a barbed-wire fence surrounding the two masts and small building.

The radar station was operational by the late summer of 1941 and upgraded during 1943 closing during November 1945 (information from I Brown Radar Archive, PRO AVIA 7/372; AIR 26/92).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), 4 August 2005


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions