Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Kelvingrove Park, Kelvingrove Museum And Art Gallery

Art Gallery (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Kelvingrove Park, Kelvingrove Museum And Art Gallery

Classification Art Gallery (19th Century), Museum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Argyle Street; Fine Art Galleries; Glasgow Art Gallery And Museum

Canmore ID 139413

Site Number NS56NE 329

NGR NS 56762 66310

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139413

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Treasured Places (4 July 2007)

In 1901 the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum opened. The architects were J W Simpson and E J Milner Allen. The building is constructed of red sandstone and features a bronze statue of St Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow, above the north doorway.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 4 July 2007

McKean, C, Walker, D and Walker, F 1989

Archaeology Notes

NS56NE 329 56762 66310

Kelvingrove Museum & Art Gallery [NAT]

OS 1:1250 map, 1971.

Architecture Notes

NMRS Notes:

Glasgow, Kelvingrove, Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery.

Architect: J. W. Simpson of Simpson and Milner Allen, 1894.

Glasgow, Kelvingrove, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Architect: - H.and D. Barclay.

NMRS Notes:

Glasgow, Kelvingrove Park, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Plans: 'The British Architect' - 19th January 1894. - Design by H. and D. Barclay. - 1 sheet Plans and Engravings.

- Not held by N.M.R.S.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

The Courtauld Institute: Sculpture Negative Collection.

Kelvingrove, G. Frampton: St Mungo. A77/735... A 77/737

Major renovation work by Elder and Cannon 1988-90.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Design (15 April 1892 - 1894)

Unexecuted (29 April 1892 - 19 January 1894)

Unsuccessful competition entry.

Unexecuted (10 June 1892 - 17 June 1892)

Unsuccessful competition entry.

Unexecuted (6 May 1892)

Unsuccessful competition entry.

Modification (1988 - 1990)

Modification (August 2003 - 11 July 2006)

Photographic Survey (9 August 2006)

Aerial Photography (31 May 2006)

Directed towards collecting views of Glasgow in support of a 'Glasgow from the Air' volume. The newly completed Wishaw General Hospital and the disused Law Hospital near Carluke were also recorded. A patch of rig was recorded as soilmarks near Cumbernauld. A possible later prehistoric settlement enclosure beside Glasgow airport, seen for the first time as a cropmark in 2005, was recorded again, also as a cropmark.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions