Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Ingram Street, Assembly Rooms

Assembly Rooms (18th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Ingram Street, Assembly Rooms

Classification Assembly Rooms (18th Century)

Canmore ID 139312

Site Number NS56NE 311

NGR NS 5927 6528

NGR Description NS c.5927 6528

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/139312

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 311 c.5927 6528

Now demolished, but the front arch has been taken to Glasgow Green and re-erected as the MacLellan Arch in 1893.

REFERENCE:

Architects: Robert and James Adam 1796

Henry Holland 1807 Wings (see Swan's 'Views of Glasgow')

REFERENCE:

Mitchell Library Glasgow in Former Times Vol II One engraving

Swan's Views of Glasgow One engraving

Activities

Note (11 April 2019)

The building was situated on the north side of Ingram Street, between Hannover Street and Frederick Street. Nelson's Hand-Book to Scotland for Tourists (Wilson 1860) describes the following: 'Ingram Street ... displays a large variety of attractive building. The British Linen Company's Bank, on the north side, at the corner of Queen Street ... The Athenaeum, originally the Assembly Rooms, on the same side, between Hannover Street and Frederick Street, is an edifice of 1796 and 1807, partly after designs by Henry Holland'.

Information from HES Survey and Recording 11 April 2019

Source: J M Wilson 1860

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions