Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Newmore Wood

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Newmore Wood

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Inchindown

Canmore ID 13768

Site Number NH67SE 6

NGR NH 6806 7378

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13768

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SE 6 6806 7378.

(NH 6806 7378) Cairn (NR)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

"A large cairn of stones about 100 yards in circum ference and 8' or 10' in height. The New Statistical Account (NSA) mentions 'A very large one (cairn) in the neighbourhood of Loch Achnacloich. It is surrounded by an outer circle composed of stones a few yards asunder and measuring in circumference 130 yards'. Unless this be the cairn referred to, there is none now in the district to correspond with this measurement, though the outer circle cannot be seen."

New Statistical Account (NSA, wriiten by D Carment) 1845; Name Book 1874.

A large mound of bare stones measuring 25.0m E-W x 24.0m N-S, with an average height of 2.0m except in the S, where it is 3.0m high. It lies in a thick, mature forest. On the top of the cairn is a large irregular depression c.7.5m in diameter, but no evidence of a cist or chamber was seen, nor was any evidence of an outer circle noted, although there is a slight crescent-shaped bank of earth and stones 8.0m long, 3.5m wide, and 0.6m high, probably modern, on the W side of the cairn. Another slight bank on the E side forns the W side of an old enclosure. Both these banks would appear to be associated with the deserted croft of Inchindown.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 8 May 1963.

This cairn has been dug out for road metalling by the Forestry Commission, and survives only as a rim of debris still up to 2.0m high in the SE. The centre is completely levelled. On the rim on top of the debris in the E is a large boulder (2.1m x 0.6m x 1.0m) which looks to have come from the interior. Nothing is known to have been found.

Visited by OS (A A) 12 May 1975.

No change to the previous field report.

Surveyed at 1:10,000.

Visited by OS (J B) 26 March 1981.

Activities

Field Visit (12 September 1943)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Emergency Survey (1942-3), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, vary from short notes to lengthy and full descriptions and are available to view online with contemporary sketches and photographs. The original typescripts, manuscripts, notebooks and photographs can also be consulted in the RCAHMS Search Room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 10 December 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions