Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Carved Stone (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Nonakiln

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Carved Stone (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 13747

Site Number NH67SE 20

NGR NH 6621 7124

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH67SE 20 6621 7124.

(NH 66521 7124) St. Ninian's Chapel (NR) (Ruin)

OS 6" map, Ross-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

About a mile north of Alness village is the burying-ground of Nonikiln. In the burying ground are the ruins of the church believed to be St. Ninian's, which fell in 1714 (MacDonald, Polson and Brown 1931) Killinianan or Nonakiln (Bain 1899).

In the churchyard was found part of a slab incised with what could be spectacle ornament. The slab has now disappeared, but there is a cast of it in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) which was presented by James Flaws, Castlehill, Wyre, through J M Corrie, FSA Scot (PSAS 1930).

R Maclean 1886; R Bain 1899; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1930; D MacDonald,

A Polson and J Brown 1931.

All that remains of this chapel is the west gable 8.2m long standing to roof height and containing a small rectangular door with a small arched window above. A modern stone-walled yard has been built on to the east face of the gable.

Visited by OS (W D J) 11 May 1963.

The W gable still survives of this chapel. There are several graveslabs of probable 17th-century date in the burial-ground. The decorated slab (cast in the Royal Museum of Scotland [RMS], formerly the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS]): IB 216) is possibly of Early Christian date.

RCAHMS 1979, visited September 1978.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions