Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Garynahine

Head Dyke(S) (Post Medieval), Mill (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Garynahine

Classification Head Dyke(S) (Post Medieval), Mill (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 137371

Site Number NB23SW 49

NGR NB 2370 3180

NGR Description Centred NB 2370 3180

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/137371

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Uig
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB23SW 49 2370 3180

A township, comprising twelve roofed and eleven unroofed buildings, one of which is annotated as 'Mill (Corn)' and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1853, sheet 25). In addition, an extensive system of head-dykes (NB 239 332 to NB 227 270), which runs roughly from the NE to the S of the township and is conjoined with the head-dyke systems to the N (NB23SW 74) and to the W (NB22NW 23).

A crofting township, comprising twenty-nine roofed, four unroofed buildings and a crofting field-system, and some lengths of head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1974).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 29 September 1997.

NB 23 31 (area) Archaeological field recording was undertaken of the crofts, feus and the former common pasture land of the village.

The present village was founded in 1935 from the Lands of Linshader by Grimersta Estate. The former village was cleared to make way for the fishing lodge of Garynahine in 1852. The OS 6 inch survey of 1848 records those houses later cleared in 1852, but does not record the village which existed prior to that date with the exception of a blackhouse at NB 2334 3178. The Seafield Muniment papers do not record a village of Garynahine between 1752-98 in its list of tenantry. The village was either founded between 1798 and 1848 or, alternatively, any village that existed prior to 1752 was cleared by that date.

This survey revealed the presence of a head dyke to the NE and the possible remnants to the S.

No 1 Ge No surviving features.

No 2 Ge NB 2349 3173. Remnants of enclosure. (NB23SW 49.01)

No 3 Ge No surviving features.

No 4 Ge NB 2334 3173. Cross-shaped alignment of orthostats 60cm high. Cell in re-entrant angle of SW quadrant (?stock shelter). (NB23SW 49.02)

NB 2317 3174. Setting of three stones in peat with glacial boulder in middle (field clearance).

No 5 Ge NB 2334 3178. Remains of blackhouse converted to stockfold. (NB23SW 49.03)

No 6 Ge NB 2334 31845. Remains of blackhouse with ?kiln feature: there is extensive mounding on this site together with attached cellular structures. Blackhouse is adjacent to Cnoc Glas stockyard which is shown on 1853 OS 6 inch map. (NB23SW 49.04)

NB 2327 3181. Site of horizontal mill, converted to sheep pen. Most mill features, with exception of the exit port, have been obliterated. Mill lade, though faint, easily traceable running NNE to No 7 Ge, thence through Nos 8 to 10 where it would have joined Allt Mhurchaidh at NB 2333 3206. The distance of this lade is c 300m. (NB23SW 49.05)

No 7 Ge NB 2326 3183. Mill race to No 8 at NB 2325 3187. At NB 2327 3183, an escape chute for the mill has been cut through live rock to a depth of 95cm. Adjacent to Cnoc Glas on No 6 is wall of orthostats running NE-SW (NB 2336 3187 to NB 2335 3186). Enclosure at NB 2334 3185 occurs with D-shaped setting of orthostats, c 3 x 3m.

No 8 Ge NB 2325 3187. Mill race to NB 2326 3199.

No 9 Ge No surviving features.

No 10 Ge NB 2326 3192. Mill race runs in haphazard manner to NB 2333 3206 to Allt Mhurchaidh.

NB 2330 3204. Indiscriminate structure, c 7 x 3m, with several earthfast stones (?stockfold).

NB 2330 3206. Outline of turf hut with a few earthfast stones, c 3 x 2m, with entrance to NE. (NB23SW 49.10)

No 11 Ge NB 2319 3195. Group of four orthostats, together with some indiscriminate walling. This structure is probably linked with adjacent enclosure, Cnoc Buile'n Ruisg (?calf pen linked with shieling use).

NB 2315 3190. Extensive area of lazybed cultivation and links to Cnoc Buile'n Ruisg. (NB23SW 49.06)

NB 2316 3198. Well, associated with Cnoc Buile'n Ruisg. (NM23SW 49.07)

No 12 Ge NB 2314 3217. Rectangular byre, 7.3 x 5.1m. Excavation revealed oval structure beneath present drystone byre. This byre was last thatched building in Garynahine, removed in 1975. (NB23SW 49.08)

NB 2310 3202. Well. This feature again belongs in the former enclosure of CBDR. (NB23SW 49.09)

The Cottage, Ge

Original head dyke for the old village was traced.

NB 2344 3214. Blackhouse footprint. (NB23SW 49.11)

NB 2346 3211. Blackhouse footprint. (NB23SW 49.12)

NB 2351 3203. Blackhouse footprint. (NB23SW 49.13)

NB 2349 3204. House structure running parallel to road. (NB23SW 49.14)

NB 2352 3199. Blackhouse footprint. (NB23SW 49.15)

NB 2354 3200. Blackhouse footprint. (NB23SW 49.15)

NB 2363 3191. Oval structure of earthfast stones (?shieling). (NB23SW 31)

Garynahine Smithy

NB 2351 3159. Blackhouse footprint with adjacent stockyard.

Common Pasture

NB 2319 3156. A 5m curving line of stones set in peat turf at the edge of a skinned peat area. At the rear of the stones against the uncut peat is an area of c 3 x 5m of stones set in the peat.

NB 2290 3175. Stones set in peat extend E for some 11m. Several other earthfast stones can be observed, c 50cm high.

NB 2287 3178. Small area of runrig which is being eroded by the sea.

NB 2280 3179. Setting of small stones set in L-shaped formation (?kelp setting).

NB 2267 3174. Rubha Reamhar Gearraidh na h-Aibhne. On elevated grass knoll which could be artificial, a 10 x 15m spread of stone (?shieling).

NB 2268 3171. Site of turf shieling.

NB 2264 3175. Rubha Reabhar. Disturbed peat site with fallen stone protruding from the peat, 30 x 30cm by 15cm high.

NB 2399 3195. Three large orthostats lie in line of the base CBDR. They are 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.8m high and run SE. Various ground features form the Park of CBDR. The area is quite extensive with alternating grasslands and cultivation rigs and is of the late medieval period. It takes in part of crofts 12, 11, 8, 7 and 6.

Sponsor: Garynahine Grazings Committee and Residents Association.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions