Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balconie House

Castle (Medieval), House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balconie House

Classification Castle (Medieval), House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Balconie Castle

Canmore ID 13684

Site Number NH66NW 8

NGR NH 6154 6569

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13684

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH66NW 8 6153 6568

(NH 6153 6568) Balconie House (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959).

Balconie Castle is on the site of one of the castles occupied by the Earls of Ross.

N Macrae 1923.

Balconie House is a derelict four storey building. There is no trace of a former building to be seen. It is perhaps significant that the position is opposite Castlecraig (NH66SW 2) which stands on the SE shore of Cromarty Firth and it is believed locally that a castle guarded the firth on each side here.

Visited by OS (R D) 5 May 1963.

The 19th-century Balconie House has been demolished.

RCAHMS 1979.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Balconie House which was a Category C Listed ruinous building was blown up c. 1968. Information from Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

Activities

External Reference (2010)

There were at least two castles thought to be on the site: a medieval one and the later one destroyed in c. 1868.

Mary MacDonald researched the medieval castle for ARCH Community Timelines course 2010: The medieval castle is mentioned in 1297 in a letter to Edward I (Calendar of Scottish Documents No. 922, Royal Letters No. 3258). Alexander, Earl of Ross issues documents at Balconie in 1439/40.

A document of 1473 is issued at Balconie [Balkny) by John, Earl of Ross and Lord of the Isles (Acts of the Lords of the Isles, ed. Jan Munro & R. W Munro, 1986). Balkeny is listed in 1479 as one of the 'five quarters' of Ross in connection with the confiscated estates of John, last Earl of Ross (W.J. Watson, Place-names of Ross and Cromarty, p. xxv.)

In 1551, Queen Mary grants 'the chaplainry of St Monan on the lands of Balcony' to Sir William Munro. (Origines Parochiales Scotiae, ed. Cosmo Innes et al., 1850-5.).

Information from the ARCH Community Timelines Course, 2010

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions