Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

South Queensferry, Port Edgar Harbour, Barracks

Barracks (First World War), Barracks (20th Century)

Site Name South Queensferry, Port Edgar Harbour, Barracks

Classification Barracks (First World War), Barracks (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Hms Lochinvar; Barrack Blocks A To E

Canmore ID 136604

Site Number NT17NW 181.08

NGR NT 1165 7870

NGR Description Centred NT 1165 7870

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/136604

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Dalmeny
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County West Lothian

World War One Audit of Surviving Remains (11 September 2013)

The naval barracks at Port Edgar date from about 1918 and comprise a group of one- and two-storey brick-built, slated buildings with regular windows. The barracks was originally intended to house the personnel for the Torpedo Boat Destroyer base at Port Edgar. The barracks were in military use until 1927, after which they were used as accommodation to give poor families a holiday. The barracks were re-occupied in the Second World War, in part as a naval hospital, when Port Edgar was the main mine-sweeping base for Scotland. The 4th epoch OS 1:10560 map (surveyed 1948) shows the complex of buildings labelled "Royal Naval Hospital".

Information from HS/RCAHMS World War One Audit Project (GJB) 11 September 2013.

Archaeology Notes

NT17NW 181.08 centred 1165 7870

The former barracks buildings are sitauted at the W end of Port Edgar Base. Two storeyed with slated roofs built of brick with concrete lintels to windows and doors. Windows are sash type with glazing bars (astragals).

External metal stairs from the first floor and there are cast iron ornamental external light fittings at the corners.

At the W end of this group is the sick bay building.

All buildings are lettered (according to the official plan), Barrack Blocks A to E. Faded painted signs were noted at the lower corners and an earlier very faded painted sign 'A and B' on a concrete lintel above a bricked up entrance, possibly a previous numbering system.

Information to follow.

Activities

Project (March 2013 - September 2013)

A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions