Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Yell, Ness Of Gossabrough

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Yell, Ness Of Gossabrough

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 1365

Site Number HU58SW 1

NGR HU 5337 8329

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1365

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Yell
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU58SW 1 5337 8329.

(HU 5340 8330) Brough (LB)

OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed.,(1900).

A broch, now almost completely destroyed. The conspicuous, rocky site, though only 50' above sea level, is one of considerable natural strength, amid cultivated land. Slight traces of the foundations of the main wall can be detected here and there, and these point to an overall diameter of about 57'. On the NE there are indefinite indications which suggest outbuildings of considerable extent.

Irvine (J T Irvine) records that in 1866 chambers were still visible among the remains and there are said to have been graves hard by.

RCAHMS 1946, visited 1931.

A broch mound in which the wall face is only visible on the W side, rendering accurate measurement impossible. Disturbed ground to the E of the broch indicates the former existence of outbuildings now overlaid by the footings of a late rectangular building.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited By OS (NKB) 12th May 1969.

Activities

Publication Account (2002)

HU58 1 GOSSABROUGH ('Ness of Gossabrough') HU/534833

Probable broch on the south-east shore of Yell I., on a rocky knoll near the base of a promontory (overlooking a bay with sandy beaches) but in effect in the middle of farmland with modern houses near; it is almost completely destroyed, there being only a tall, grassy mound with stones projecting from the sides. The building is probably on top of a rocky knoll and the Commission was able to trace a diameter of about 17.39 m (57 ft.): the investigators also detected probable outbuildings on the north-east side. An accurate measurement of the structure is now impossible [1]. Irvine records that chambers were still visible in the middle of the 19th century [2] (visited 6/6/63).

Sources: 1. OS card HU 58 SW 1: 2. Irvine 1866: 3 RCAHMS 1946, vol. 3, no. 1718, 162.

E W MacKie 2002

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions