Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 2 Roxburgh Place, University Of Edinburgh, Roxburgh Place Hall

Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 2 Roxburgh Place, University Of Edinburgh, Roxburgh Place Hall

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Church Hall (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Holy Trinity Church; Lady Glenorchy's Free Church And Hall; Edinburgh University

Canmore ID 136061

Site Number NT27SE 3163

NGR NT 26137 73355

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/136061

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 3163 26137 73355

NT27SE 3165 26151 73333 4 Roxburgh Place

See also NT27SE 431, 522 and 2938

On the demolition of the original Church in 1845, new Trustees of the Established Church purchased Roxburgh Place Chapel in 1859. In 1862 the Presbytery approved its constitution as Lady Glenorchy's Parish Church, and in 1930 it became the 'South' Church in contradistinction to that in Leith Walk named the 'North'. In 1844 the remains of Lady Glenorchy were removed from the original church to the family vault in St John's burying ground, but in 1859 they were laid to rest in the South Church where a suitable vault had been built and where the marble tablet removed from the original Church was placed over the grave. (See Grant's Old and New Edinburgh)

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (23 January 2002)

Double doors with central pillar and two outer pillars carved with foliage. Two Romanesque arches above doors with carved foliage. Central triangular panel holds lettering. Above this is a half-length angel, with large outstretched wings, at the base of the oriel window. Below the angel is a shield decorated with a saltire.

Inspected By : A Taubman

Inscriptions : Raised Gothic style lettering above central pillar between two doors:

. Lady . Glenorchy's . Parish . Church . / . founded . anno . domini . mdcclxxiv . / . Rebuilt . in . the . year. / mcmix .

Signatures : None

Design period : 1908 - 1910

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1027)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions