Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Easter Suddie, St Duthac's Church

Burial Enclosure (18th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Site Name Easter Suddie, St Duthac's Church

Classification Burial Enclosure (18th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval), Mausoleum (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Suddie Church; Suddy Church

Canmore ID 13577

Site Number NH65SE 14

NGR NH 66516 54741

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Knockbain
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH65SE 14 66516 54741.

(NH 6650 5475) Suddie Church (NR)

OS 6" map, (1959)

This was the parish church of Suddie, and was abandoned in 1762 when a new parish church for the combined Suddie and Kilmuir parishes was erected at Knockbain (NH 6459 5224).

The Church was dedicated to St. Duthac of Tain (d.1065)

H Scott et al 1915-61; N Macrae 1923; L Pullan 1927.

All that remains of St. Duthac's or Suddie Church is the E gable virtually intact; part of the N wall, 1.2m high containing an aumbry; and the turf-covered footings of a section of the W wall. The walls, 0.8m thick, are of roughly coursed masonry with rubble infilling bonded with shell mortar. The E gable contains a small plaque with a family crest on it. The N wall is connected to a modern building: the graveyard is still used. According to the Minister of the U.F. Church at Munlochy, Knockbain Parish Church was erected in 1754, and combined the churches of Suddie and Wester Kilmuir in 1762.

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 17 March 1966.

Suddy (Ross). The parsonage, along with that of Kinnettes, was assigned to the chanter of Ross in the reconstitution of the chapter of Ross which was confirmed by Pope Alexander IV in 1255/6. At some indeterminate date before the 16th century, however, the two parsonages passed to the chancellor of Ross who appears to have exchanged them with the chanter who, in turn, received the benefice of Kilmorack. Both parsonage and vicarage fruits were apparently annexed, the cure forming a united vicarage pensionary with Kilmuir Wester.

I B Cowan 1967.

Easter Suddie: isolated group of a churchyard beside a farm. Suddie Church: of the church abandoned in 1764, probably late medieval.

J Gifford 1992.


Field Visit (June 1979)

Suddie, Old Parish Church NH 665 547 NH65SE 14

This T-plan church may be of medieval origin; it was probably dedicated to St Duthac. The remains comprise the E gable, the footings of the S and W walls, a length of the N wall and the N wing, which is still in use as a burial-aisle.

RCAHMS 1979, visited June 1979

OPS 1851-5, ii, 537-40; Cowan 1967, 193


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions