Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 Elm Row, Gateway Theatre

Billiard Hall (20th Century), Broadcasting Studio (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), College (19th Century), College (20th Century), Skating Rink (20th Century), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 Elm Row, Gateway Theatre

Classification Billiard Hall (20th Century), Broadcasting Studio (20th Century), Cinema (20th Century), College (19th Century), College (20th Century), Skating Rink (20th Century), Theatre (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Leith Walk; Pringle's Picture Palace; The Atmospheric; The Broadway; Queen Margaret University College

Canmore ID 135669

Site Number NT27SE 3028

NGR NT 26283 74718

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/135669

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 3028.00 26283 74718

NT27SE 3028.01 NT 263 747 Well

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE:

Architect: W H Playfair 1821

Originally a veterinary college from 1888 to 1904. Opened as a cinema in 1908. Became known as the Atmospheric in 1929-30 and subsequently Pringle's. After this date it became a theatre being known as Millicent Ward's Studio Theatre and the Festival Theatre. In 1938 it was renamed The Broadway and in 1946 this building and those in the immediate surroundings were gifted to the Church of Scotland.

From this time on the theatre and cinema was known as The Gateway. The last use as a cinema was sometime around 1965-66.

The building was then used as the Scottish Television Company's Edinburgh studio who have subsequently vacated the premesis and it is now used by the Queen Margaret College, Edinburgh University.

B Thomas 1984, information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2003

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (8 September 2011)

A desk based assessment of this building was made by RCAHMS Threatened Building Survey following a consent/planning application for demolition works at the site being submitted to the planning local authority.

It was decided that RCAHMS already holds sufficient record of this site in the national inventory.

Planning Application ref – 11/02695/CON

Watching Brief (3 August 2012 - 17 August 2012)

Headland Archaeology was commissioned by Watkins Jones Group to undertake a programme of archaeological works at Gateway Theatre, 40-44 Elm Row, Edinburgh. This work was preceded by an initial phase of archaeological work that comprised historic building survey and monitoring of demolition works, the results of which have been collated within a separate report (Wilson 2012). The evaluation comprised the excavation of five targeted trenches on the footprint of the proposed development. This revealed the remains of a number of foundation walls to the W side of the development area, pre-dating the Veterinary College. The results of the evaluation led to a programme of targeted monitoring of ground reduction works. Further extents of the surviving walls along with contemporary brick and stone floors and a stone-lined culvert associated with the early 19th century structures were revealed. Remains of a the foundation walls belonging to a block of stables were also exposed and recorded. These stables formed part of the original Veterinary College building.

Headland Archaeology 2012 (D. Wilson) OASIS ID: headland1-133528

Standing Building Recording (20 January 2012 - 16 August 2012)

Headland Archaeology was commissioned by Prime Student Housing to undertake a programme of archaeological works at Gateway Theatre; 40-44 Elm Row, Edinburgh. This report comprises a Level 2 (RCHME 1996) Historic Building Record of the standing buildings prior to demolition works and the results of subsequent archaeological monitoring of the demolition works. The building survey revealed that the majority of the upstanding outer walls of the theatre represented the remains of the original 19th century Veterinary College. The college had been designed in 1882 and had continued as a Veterinary College until 1899. Subsequent to this, the property changed hands on a number of occasions becoming an Ice Rink, Cinema, Theatre, Television Studios and finally reverting to a Theatre. These frequent changes saw major alterations to the internal design of the building over the following century. The building survey recorded various aspects of the building's present state reflecting its important social history during the 20th century.

Donald Wilson (Headland Archaeology) September 2012. OASIS id: headland1-132741

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions