Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kinmylies

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kinmylies

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Well (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 13550

Site Number NH64SW 3

NGR NH 6462 4450

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13550

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64SW 3 6462 4450.

(NH 6462 4450) Site of Chapel [NR]

OS 6"map, (1938)

"The site of this chapel has been pointed out by P Grant. It is in the garden attached to his house (Kinmylies) and, in trenching this, the workmen came upon thick walls, not, evidently those of a common building, round which were large quantities of human bones, evidently betokening the former existence of a burial place. Ancient charters also said to exist, bearing evidence of the fact. The dedicatory name cannot be obtained, but there is no doubt that it existed before the Reformation, although the precise date of its erection cannot be discovered. At present there is not the least trace of it. There is a small property annexed (to Kinmylies) which at one time was church lands and held of the Abbot of Arbroath: and a chapel once stood in what is now the garden. Cosmo Innes, the historian, has told Mr. Grant that he has seen charters, dated by an ancient Bishop of Moray and Ross from "his manse at Kilmillies", and it is very probable that this was the ancient orthograph."

Name Book 1868.

The site of this chapel lies in what is now a vegetable garden. No trace of remains can be seen.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 29 March 1962.

Trial trenching revealed no trace of this bulding or any other evidence of medieval occupation.

J B Wordsworth 1990b.

Watching brief during surface stripping operations in area of demolished Kinmylies House and garden, investigating anomalies recorded during a geophysical survey in 1987.

No evidence found for medieval chapel.

A number of metalled garden path footings were exposed, along with other features associated with Kinmylies House. A drystone construction well was uncovered, sealed by an iron-banded mill-stone. The upper fills produced material of turn of the century date, along with a number of well fittings. The well chamber had been blocked with stone debris.

Sponsor: Inverness District Council.

R Hanley 1993.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions