Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lewis, Achmore

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lewis, Achmore

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 134911

Site Number NB32NW 17

NGR NB 3100 2900

NGR Description Centred on NB 3100 2900

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/134911

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Lochs
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NB32NW 17.00 centred on 3100 2900

NB32NW 17.01 3040 2872 Field-system

The township of Achmore has two foci as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Island of Lewis, Ross-shire 1852, sheet 26) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973). That to the E has a small township, comprising five roofed buildings, one partially roofed building, one unroofed structure and a head-dyke as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch (ibid.). The larger foci to the W has eight roofed, two partially roofed buildings, one unroofed building, eight enclosures and a head-dyke on the OS 1st edition 6-inch map (ibid.).

The establishment of a large crofting township now occupies the area of both foci. The crofting township, comprising thirty-five roofed buildings, two partially roofed and at least eight unroofed buildings is shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973)

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 26 September 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions