Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkton, Farnaway Church And Graveyard

Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Church (Medieval)

Site Name Kirkton, Farnaway Church And Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Post Medieval), Church (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Bunchrew

Canmore ID 13488

Site Number NH64NW 8

NGR NH 60549 45205

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13488

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kirkhill
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NW 8 6055 4520.

(NH 6055 4520) Church (GT) (Ruin){NAT}

OS 6" map, Inverness, 2nd ed., (1906)

Farnua & Wardlaw (NH 54) were united into one parish of Kirkhill in 1618. The church of Farnua stood at Kirkton, Bunchrew; where are still the remains of the churchyard with several old stones.

ISSFC 1885, 1893, 1898; T Wallace 1911.

At Kirkton, near Bunchrew, are the remains of the chuuch and churchyard of Farnaway or Fearnaie being now represented only by an enclosure about 20 yards square - of which the north wall is part of the old church; the church once measured 20 yards long by 18 feet wide. The graveyard was once four or five times larger and many skeletons have been discovered in the field north of the road (NH64NW 13) for cup-marked stones in graveyard wall)

W Jolly 1882.

The probable surviving remains of this church is a short stretch of rubble wall 7.2m long and 1.0m thick (as opposed to the graveyard walls thickness of 0.4m). It is featureless, and is 2.0m high above the graveyard's present level, but 3.0m high externally. The graveyard wall is not old, and a datestone, bearing the date 1811, in the east jamb of the southern entrance, may well be the date of its erection. The earliest grave-slab found amid undergrowth, was dated 1742.

Contrary to Jolly (W Jolly 1882), the existing fragment of church wall is on the east side of the graveyard - not the north - and therefore is probably the east gable of the church.

Visited by OS (J L D) 28 March 1962.

Activities

Field Visit (April 1979)

Kirkton, Farnaway Church NH 605 452 NH64NW 8

A modern burial-enclosure occupies the traditional site of the parish church of Farnua, which was amalgamated with Wardlaw to form the parish of Kirkhill in 1618. What may be part of the former church is incorporated into the E wall of the enclosure, and burials are said to have been uncovered to the N.

RCAHMS 1979, visited April 1979

Jolly 1882, 315; Scott et al. 1915-61, vi, 471-2; Cowan 1967 64-5.

Field Visit (2021)

NH 4803 5818, NH 54966 45681, NH 60549 45205 Survey

and recording undertaken of gravestones in the following churchyards/burial grounds: Kinnettas (Canmore ID 12405); Bunchrew (Canmore ID 104528); Kirkhill (NRHE Canmore ID 13488). Reports have been lodged with the Highland Archives Inverness, with results to be published by the Highland Family History Society.

Stuart Farrell

(Source: DES Vol 22)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions