Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverness, 71 Church Street, Abertarff House

House (16th Century)

Site Name Inverness, 71 Church Street, Abertarff House

Classification House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Old Abertarff House; Abertaff House

Canmore ID 13362

Site Number NH64NE 15

NGR NH 66534 45404

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13362

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NE 15 66534 45404.

Nearby Dunbar's Hospital in Church St., Inverness is Abertarff House - an example of a turnpike street dwelling built c. 1592, and now being restored to serve as a museum. 71, Church St., - known as Abertarff House - property of Town Council - unoccupied.

Inverness Official Guide 1957.

NH 6653 4540. A rectangular two storeyed building with a semi-circular stair turret, in the centre of the south side, surmounted by a square cap house, in the process of being restored. A stone in the end of the crow-stepped gable bears the letters AS HS and the date 1?94. It is a good example of a 16th century dwelling House.

Visited by OS (W D J) 31 March 1960.

In 1963 the proprietors gave the building to the National Trust for Scotland, who completed its restoration in 1966, helped by the people of Inverness and other benefactors. The restoration was marked by a Civic Trust Award. In 1985 the National Trust for Scotland moved its Highland office to Abertarff House.

Prospect, Summer 1990

Activities

Photographic Survey (1950)

Photographs of Abertarff House, Inverness, likely taken by the Ministry of Works c1950.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions