Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverness, High Street, Market Cross

Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverness, High Street, Market Cross

Classification Market Cross (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 13310

Site Number NH64NE 10

NGR NH 66686 45210

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13310

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NE 10 66686 45210.

(NH 6668 4521) The original site of the market cross of Inverness cannot be pointed out now; it is supposed to have stood near its present one which is on the Exchange in front of the Towh Hall. The cross is about 10 feet in height and in good preservation.

Name Book 1868.

The Market Cross of Inverness is a square shafted example with splay on corners, supporting a moulded capital. It rests on a large stone base set against the wall of the Towh Hall. This Cross is about to be restored.

J W Small 1900.

The present Town Cross probably dates from 1768. The older one was removed many years ago. It stood in front of the site of the Forbes Fountain now standing in the Exchange.

C Fraser-Mackintosh 1913.

The Market Cross of Inverness now stands close to the north side of the Town Hall. It is a square shaft of ashlar masonry (c. 2m xc. 2m.) with chamfered edges, set in a modern base, upon three steps. It is surmounted by a unicorn and has a total height of c. 5m.

Visited by OS (W D J) 31 March 1960.

Architecture Notes

NMRS Library

"Scottish Country Life" June 1928 p 185 photograph

" June 1929 p 225 same photograph

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions