Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, St Leonard's Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh And Dalkeith Railway, St Leonard's Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Innocent Railway Station, St. Leonard's Lane; Formerly Lin 23; St Leonard's Station And Coal Depot

Canmore ID 131543

Site Number NT27SE 2735

NGR NT 2653 7284

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/131543

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SE 2735 2653 7284

See also NT27SE 3979, NT27SE 553, NT27SE 589, NT27SE 4356, NT27SE 4360, NT27SE 4417, NT27SE 4418.

St. Leonard's was established by the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway as its base depot on the southern outskirts of the city. However, it was not retained as a passenger station once the establishment of the Edinburgh and Glasgow and the North British lines, which converged on North Bridge, rendered this latter location a more appropriate centre for passenger traffic. Consequently the station ceased utilisation for passengers on 1 November 1847, although between 1 June and 30 September 1860 a service was temporarily re-introduced from St. Leonard's to Dalkeith, Portobello and Leith.

J Thomas 1971.

This terminal station of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith Railway (the Innocent Railway) saw a cessation of passenger services in 1847, but remained in use as a goods and minerals depot until 1968.

Douglas, Jervis, McDonald, Niblock and Barr 1993.

This station was opened on 2 June 1832 as the Edinburgh terminus of the Edinburgh and Dalkeith ('innocent') Rly. It closed in 1846, reopened on 1 June 1860 and closed again on 30 September 1860.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 2 February 1999.

R V J Butt 1995.

This site is clearly marked as St. Leonard's Station and Coal Depot on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire 1855, sheet 2), with an extensive network of sidings associated. It is also clearly marked as a station on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, sheet iiiSE), with the sidings network still in existence.

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 13 July 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions