- Council Fife
- Parish Beath
- Former Region Fife
- Former District Dunfermline
- Former County Fife
NT19SE 72 1620 9426
LUMPHINNANS XI & XII (also known as PEEWIT or PEEWEEP)
Previous Owners: Cowdenbeath Coal Company, taken over by Fife Coal Company in 1896
Types of Coal: House, Steam, Navigation, and ironstone
Sinking/Production Commenced: pre-1896
Year Closed: 1966
Year Abandoned: 1968
Average Workforce: 596
Peak Workforce: 764
Peak Year: 1947
Shaft/Mine Details: 2 shafts, No. 11 shaft 410m (NT 1620 9426), and No. 12 169m deep (NT 1618 9424) and sunk in 1924. New surface mine sunk in 1946 (see Lumphinans Mine).
Details in 1948: Output 1,050 tons per day, 262,500 tons per annum. 794 employees. Baum washer. Baths, canteen, first-aid. Electricity supplied from National Coal Board (NCB) Aitken power station [NT19SE 33]. Report 11-08-1948.
Other Details: Also known as the `Peeweep'. Washery built in 1928, and baths in 1933. Transport reconstruction underground in progress in 1946, including the introduction of 2-ton drop-bottom mine cars and locomotive and direct-rope haulage. In addition, a new surface mine was being developed to replace No. XI shaft. Surface improvements included new car handling arrangements and a conveyor direct to the screening plant. Reconstructed continued by the National COal Board (NCB) in the 1950s.
M K Oglethorpe 2006.