Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Devon Colliery

Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Devon Colliery

Classification Colliery (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Fishcross; Devon 1 And 2; Sauchie

Canmore ID 130814

Site Number NS89NE 40.01

NGR NS 8975 9587

NGR Description Centred NS 8975 9587

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/130814

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Clackmannan
  • Parish Alloa
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Clackmannan
  • Former County Clackmannanshire

Archaeology Notes

NS89NE 40.01 centred 8975 9587

DEVON Colliery (1 and 2)

Location: Sauchie, by Alloa

Previous Owners: Alloa Coal Company

Types of Coal: House and Steam, and originally some ironstone

Sinking/Production Commenced: Earlier 18th century mine closed 1854, but mine subsequently re-established and in production by 1879.

Year Closed: 1960

Year Abandoned: 1963

Average Workforce: 615

Peak Workforce: 813

Peak Year: 1954

Shaft/Mine Details: The deepest mine in Clackmannanshire. 2 shafts, 190m and 185m deep. No. 1 NS 8975 9587; No. 2 NS 8977 9584. Wet nature of pit required powerful pump, leading to construction of the still-surviving beam-engine house in 1864 by Neilson & Company of Glasgow. It was superseded by electric pumping in 1932.

Details in 1948: Output 950 tons per day, 237,500 tons per annum. 488 employees. Baum-type washer. Baths (1931), canteen (1942), medical centre. AC electricity mostly own-generated, but partly bought from Scottish Central Supply Company for two weeks at holidays. Report dated 25-08-1948.

M K Oglethorpe 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions