Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Whalsay, 'standing Stones Of Yoxie'

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Whalsay, 'standing Stones Of Yoxie'

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Pettigarth's Field

Canmore ID 1308

Site Number HU56NE 4

NGR HU 5872 6521

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/1308

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Nesting
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU56NE 4 5872 6521

(Area HU 585 651) A Neolithic 'temple,' 'The Standing Stones of Yoxie,' lies in Pettigarth's Field and 150yds from the steep cliffs of Yoxie Geo. It was excavated by Calder in 1954-5. The excavation yielded a quantity of stone implements some of which may be early, but many may belong to a secondary IA phase as IA potsherds were found. What is assumed to be an associated 'Priest's House' lies higher up the slope about 100 yds to the west. (HU56NE 5).

Relics from the excavation were donated to the National Museum of Antiquties of Scotland (NMAS) by the Symbister Estate Trustees in 1955-6.

RCAHMS 1946; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1957 (Donations); C S T Calder 1963.

'The Standing Stones of Yoxie', a Neolithic/Bronze Age structure at HU 5868 6522, as described and ilustrated by Calder.

Visited by OS (NKB) 30 May 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions