Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Boat O' Brig, Railway Bridge

Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Site Name Boat O' Brig, Railway Bridge

Classification Railway Bridge (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Spey; Boat O' Brig Pool; Boat Of Brig Railway Viaduct

Canmore ID 130597

Site Number NJ35SW 30

NGR NJ 31865 51791

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/130597

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Moray
  • Parish Boharm
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Moray
  • Former County Banffshire

Archaeology Notes

NJ35SW 30 31865 51791

For adjacent and corresponding road bridge, see NJ35SW 18.00.

(Location cited as NJ 318 518). Railway bridge, Boat o' Brig, rebuilt 1806 by the Highland Rly, replacing a celebrated iron plate-girder bridge opened in 1858 by the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly, engineer Joseph Mitchell. A single steel truss, with five semicircular approach spans at the west end. The latter have dressed-stone arch rings and coursed-rubble parapets and wing-walls.

J R Hume 1977.

The original Spey viaduct was built to the design of Joseph Mitchell for the Inverness and Aberdeen Junction Rly. The main span measured 230 feet (70.1m) in length and each of the six approach spans, 30 ft (9.1m). Although the line opened on 18 August 1858, it is probable that this bridge was not completed until 1860; it was replaced by the present lattice girder structure in 1906.

M Smith 1994.

This bridge carries the Aberdeen-Keith-Inverness line of the former Highland and Great North of Scotland Rlys over the River Spey, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Boharm and Rothes. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 June 1998.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions