Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Loch Glass

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Loch Glass

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 12980

Site Number NH57SW 3

NGR NH 5326 7039

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH57SW 3 5326 7039.

'There is a small island near the south end of this lake (Loch Glass), where it is said one of the lairds of Fowlis had formerly a summer-house'.

OSA (Rev H Robertson) 1791; R Munro 1882.

The island is 56 feet long by 42 feet wide and is devoid of vegetation. Its shape is somewhat irregular and its sides show no traces of careful masonry. It is in fact a heap of stones, many of them being large boulders.

It has the appearance of having been formed, or at any rate having been added to, in comparatively recent times. A tradition exists that the island was built about 150 years ago by order of the laird of Foulis to serve as a protection for water-fowl. The building was entrusted to the Foulis forester, Seumas Ban from whose great-grandson we have the information

H Fraser 1921.

NH 532 704. At the present level of the water in Loch Glass the island is a sub-circle of stones c 8.0 m diameter and c 1.0 m high. It is as described by Fraser.

Visited by OS (E G C) 5 May 1963.

(NH 5326 7039) Eilean na Faoileag (NAT).

OS 6"map, (1968).

No change to previous field report. Access could not be gained to the island.

Visited by OS (J B) 19 November 1976.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions