Helensburgh, Princes Street East, Helensburgh Central Station, Offices And Waiting Rooms
Railway Station (19th Century)
Site Name Helensburgh, Princes Street East, Helensburgh Central Station, Offices And Waiting Rooms
Classification Railway Station (19th Century)
Alternative Name(s) Helensburgh Station
Canmore ID 129473
Site Number NS28SE 44
NGR NS 29696 82379
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/129473
- Council Argyll And Bute
- Parish Rhu
- Former Region Strathclyde
- Former District Dumbarton
- Former County Dunbartonshire
NS28SE 44.00 29696 82379
Helensburgh Central Station [NAT]
OS (GIS) MasterMap, November 2009.
NS28SE 44.01 NS 29704 82383 Concourse Roof and Platform Screen Walls
NS28SE 44.02 NS 29767 82366 Platform and Canopy, North Side
NS28SE 44.03 NS 29666 82351 Platform and Canopy, South Side
NS28SE 44.04 NS 298 836 Motive Power Depot
NS28SE 44.05 NS 29718 82359 Gateway
Not to be confused with Helensburgh Upper Station (NS 2997 8328), for which see NS28SE 45.
(Location cited as NS 298 824). Helensburgh (Central) Station, opened 1858 by the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Rly., and rebuilt in the late 19th century. A four-platform terminal station with glazed steel-framed awnings over the platforms, supported on cast-iron columns and brick side walls. The ends of the platforms and the circulating area are covered by an arched overall roof with an attractive glazed screen. The offices are grouped round this in a 1- and 2-storey, U-plan range, with a 4-bay Renaissance street frontage.
J R Hume 1976.
This station is the terminus of the Helensburgh branch and was opened (as Helensburgh Station) by the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh Rly. on 28 May 1858, and renamed Helensburgh Central Station by British Railways on 28 May 1955. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic as part of the (electrified) Glasgow suburban network.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 1 May 1998.
R V J Butt 1995.
Photographed in April 2000, by a RCAHMS photographic team, following completion of Railtrack restoration scheme.
Visited by RCAHMS (MKO), April 2000.
