Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cnoc A' Mhargadaidh

Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Cnoc A' Mhargadaidh

Classification Field System (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 12872

Site Number NH56NE 1

NGR NH 557 669

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12872

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kiltearn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH56NE 1 557 669.

On the E slope of Cnoc Mhargadaidh can be traced out what is evidently a formed roadway to the summit, from which it can be seen. The summit is covered in green sward and at a depth of 18" charcoal was found, suggesting that though no remains of a fort could be found, it was a beacon hill communicating with Knockfarrel, Craig Phadrig, etc.

As the name suggests, markets were held at this hill. This is confirmed by easily traced remains of stone and turf walls at the base of the hill on the S side. They enclose an elongated area of over 30 acres, subdivided into stances by internal walls, and conspicuous in one place are the sorting fanks of circular form, and other four-sided enclosures. Within the same general enclosure are 5 hut circles - undoubtedly ancient - two of them joined by a passage, and another with an internal wall from the circumference to near the centre.

Around, and N of the hut circles are a great number of tumuli, apparently grave-mounds, which, except in two instances, have not been opened.

ISSFC 1884.

At least one flint has been found on the top of Cnoc a' Mhargadaidh.

W J Watson 1904.

(A: NH 5576 6692; B: NH 5574 7001) Enclosures (NR)

OS 6"map, (1970)

On an afforested S-facing slope are two circular stone-walled huts ('A' and 'B' - noted as enclosures by OS field surveyor {R D L} 11 May 1963) and traces of a contemporary field system, all of which have been mutilated by forestry ploughing.

Hut 'A' measures c.12.5m in diameter, and 'B', c.13.5m in diameter between the centres of walls spread to an indeterminate width. The ill-defined entrance to each hut is in the SE.

OS field Surveyor (R D L) in 1963 mentions a "possible third ploughed- down enclosure of similar proportions" 140.0m NW of 'A', but there is now no trace of it.

The field system comprises traces of field walls, lynchets and stone clearance heaps (undoubtedly the "tumuli" noted by ISSFC 1893) but its extent can no longer be ascertained. The tradition of a market is not known and it was probably an erroneous interpretation of the field system. No man-made features are apparent on the summit of Cnoc Mhargadaidh, and the "formed roadway" to the summit cannot be seen.

Visited by OS (N K B) 30 November 1970

No change to previous field report.

Visited by OS (J B) 8 November 1976.

On the recently afforested S flank of Cnoc a'Mhargadaidh there is a cairnfield covering about 3ha. Amongst the cairns there are two hut-circles and the remains of a probable third. Nothing can now be seen of a 'formed roadway' and other remains recorded further uphill

in 1884.

RCAHMS 1979.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions