Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Burnmouth Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Burnmouth Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Railway Station; Station House

Canmore ID 128384

Site Number NT96SE 14

NGR NT 95371 61082

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128384

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ayton
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT96SE 14.00 95371 61082

NT96SE 14.01 9539 6108 overbridge

(Location cited as NT 954 612). Burnmouth Station, opened 1846 by the North British Rly. Probably the original station building for this former two-platform through station is a single-storey coursed-rubble building on a T plan, on the down side; this is now a dwelling-house.

Nearby is a skew overbridge (NT96SE 14.01) with dressed stone segmental arch and rubble spandrels and wing walls.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh - Berwick-on-Tweed main line of the (former) North British Rly (the 'East coast main line') was opened in 1849 and closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 February 1962. The line itself remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 24 March 1998.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions